Header Ads

The life I lived

Who ever said God has a funny sense of humor definetly knew I didn't know up until now.
We go through life with a breeze not knowing without taking the time to check if we are still in one peace let alone if we are still on the same journey.
I spent most of my life ducking and diving the dreading visit to the doctor until recently when I yielded to my girlfriends advise. Most people in my culture (Afrincan) fear going to the doctor for the mere fact that they might hear what's killing them. And most end up dying from something which could have prevented at an early stage. I am one of those. The other reason is that my mother is a nurse therefore I never saw the need of paying the good doctor a visit.



My recent visit to the doctor came with a bit of a surprise. All I wanted to hear was that I had flu, get a sick note so that I wouldn't go to work the next day. To my surprise I was diagnosed with a disease called atopy and high levels of adrenalin. In a nutshell I'm like a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode. Okay that last part was a bit of an exegeration, but it is a bit of a serious issue.

The moral of the story is that most of us put off things such as illnesses until it is too late to do anything about it. Apperently what I have might be genetic, thus my worry is will I then pass it onto my children? How will people around me react when I break the news to them. The honest truth is that most people will never understand what you are going through and some will just brush it off and tell you it's not a big deal unlike suffering from cancer. At the end of the day it all boils down to how you carry yourself and manage whatever obstacles you face.

In the words of my doctor "It is not easy being black and in poverty yet we manage, so you can also manager". If people can live with cancer or HIV who am I to think I will make it to my daughter's wedding?

So no matter what you might be going through in life always know that there is a way to overcome it. It all begins and ends with you.
The life I lived The life I lived Reviewed by K Machacha on October 03, 2014 Rating: 5

No comments

Recent Posts

Travel everywhere!